Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving..

So with Turkey Day just around the corner I am constantly reminded that the way my family celebrates isn't exactly normal. My mother is 1 of 12 so my family is quite large. For the last 20 years we have all gathered at my moms for our Thanksgiving feast. Our guest list has ranged between 65-115 over this time. This year we are having a smaller group.. only about 70.

Our menu consists of 2 huge turkeys (24 & 26lbs).. 100lbs of smoked pork. Stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, peas, salad, gravy, and whatever other sides show up on the buffet table. It is always a mad rush once grace has been said and we have been released.. yes.. I am usually one of the first in line.. I like to get a good seat! Dinner is always served at 2pm but people begin arriving as early as Tuesday.

Pie.. oh how I love the pie. This year we are looking at about 40 pies.. pumpkin, sweet potato, key lime, caramel, apple (2 kinds), pecan, all sorts of berry pies, cheese cake, chocolate pie, ice cream pies, cream pies. You name it.. most likely we will have it. Pie is at 4.. and again.. it is usually a mad rush.

Then the bonfire.. and the booze.. all sorts of hi jinks and craziness occur. Now that I have my own place I usually escape around 7:30/8pm.. lol. I can only handle so much. I of course have several plates/bags of leftovers that leave with me!

Friday morning it is pie for breakfast.. gotta start with that sugar buzz!

So yes.. I realize my Thanksgiving is unconventional.. but it is pretty much all I have ever known..

What are your Turkey Day traditions?

3 comments:

Erin said...

That sounds like a dream! I think there is nothing better than a big family get-together. I am totally thrown now that it consists only of me, my husband and my in-laws.
That's why I want to have a big family of my own. Big family dinners!

Amy said...

Wow! I hope everyone helps in the cooking dept! That's alot of people. I usually host my parents, in-laws and my sister and her boyfriend. That's all the fam.

May T said...

I wish my family (and in laws) did that.. sounds like fun.