Saturday, August 1, 2009

It is hard to be Chase..

Poor kid had a rough couple of days.. not that they were easy on mommy either. The following is kind of TMI.. fair warning.

Last Saturday I noticed a red bump on his butt. I thought it may be a diaper rash of some sort and started putting Butt Paste on it. He had his 2 month well visit Wednesday and I figured I would ask about it then. (FYI.. he is 11lbs 11oz and 23.75".. 70% for weight & 95% for height)..

At the pediatrician appointment the doctor seemed concerned and sent us home with a prescription ointment and instructions to do hot compresses and come back Thursday. She mentioned that if it didn't look better she would send us to All Children's Hospital . I started to panic just a bit. Thanks to my MIL's Dr. Google skills we determined that it may be a peri-rectal abscess. This was later confirmed.

Thursday morning we went back to the pediatrician and she poked and prodded the poor kid some more and told us to make our way to the hospital. It needed to be drained. Got up to All Children's. My MIL met me there (around 11am) thank goodness (DH was stuck at work). They checked Chase's bum several times, poking and prodding. He was miserable! They told us it wasn't ready to be drained yet and sent us home around 2:30pm with instructions to not feed him after 4am and get there around 8am.

Friday morning my MIL and I arrive at the hospital a little before 8am. Chase is already hungry and not happy. We get checked in and the waiting begins. Poor kid is starving and I can't do anything about it. Different doctors come in and out poking and prodding the sore on his butt. They decide around 10am to do surgery (yes.. 6 hours after his last feeding already) and they do the IV. OMG.. how traumatizing. They got it in ok but it took the nurse forever to tape it. In the meantime Chase is screaming like I have never heard anyone scream before. It was heart wrenching. I ended up crying along with him. He went into surgery at 11am and it was done in 15min.

Surgeon came in to talk to us and said it went well but that the abscess was connected to the anus with a fissure and that we would have to come back in 2 weeks and do another procedure. Poor baby. They bring us into recovery and he is in a lot of pain and hungry. Tylenol isn't cutting it and due to the pain he is refusing to eat. It is now noon and he hasn't eaten in 8 hours. They decide to give him morphine but that means an overnight stay. DH is stuck at work because his boss is evil and is freaking.. as am I. After the morphine Chase finally eats and downs 6oz like a champ. More waiting commences. Around 6:45pm they finally move us to our room for the night. DH arrives shortly after and MIL goes home.

Friday night was pretty rough. Only one cot for us to share and it was just not a sleep conducive environment. Chase got morphine twice more. Around 7am we decide to try Tylenol instead of another morphine dose and it seems to work. We ended up giving another morphine does at 10am to change the packing in the wound. They change the packing and again he screams while I have to hold him down.. NOT FUN.

Finally we were released at 2pm and came home. We are doing wound care on our own and he goes back to the Surgeon Aug 12th to re-evaluate and schedule surgery.

It was a really hard 36 hours but we are all so glad to be home!

In the hospital gown..


The IV


His boxing glove.. they wrapped the IV in a diaper because he kept hitting himself with it.

3 comments:

Mari said...

Wow, that must have been scary for you. Poor Chase! :(

I'm glad everyone's ok and I'll be praying that everything goes smoothly with the follow-ups.

(((HUGS)))

SweetPea said...

Poor little Chase!!! I feel so bad the him. I'm glad that he's at home and I hope the next time it goes smoother. (hugs)

shawnandlarissa said...

Poor baby!

{{{hugs}}}